3 replies to this topic

#1 OldGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationBelow the Mason Dixon line

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:53 AM

I imagine there is some scripting on this show - especially the pre-auction scenes - but I now wonder at the scenes during the auction.

Remember the first episodes where the audience was very sparse? Now, they are lining up at the door and spending ridiculous amounts of money on ordinary stuff. e.g. an old ugly trunk for $250???

Last night, they auctioned off a collection of sports cards - over 1,000 cards. The guy who they got to appraise the cards didn't even want to look at them. Some appraiser.

I must be getting bored with it all - and I love auctions.

#2 T.R.

Theo.

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 10:51 AM

It's pretty heavily scripted in the same way Pawn Stars is. They add a bunch of "shennagins" for interest. The closing scene is an obvious example. The problem with scripting is, where does it end. I can't say the auctions are real because I know other parts of the show aren't. I could say the crowds are bigger due to the show, but how could I know they're not bringing in extras?

I watch this show if nothing else is on. I find myself flipping between old, old episodes of Storage Wars because this show can't hold my attention. But every now and then they get an interesting item I want to follow through with.

I'm afraid you might be right, OG. It's possible reality shows as a genre have jumped the shark tank. Let's hope some shows start treating us with intelligence instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator.
Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?

#3 OldGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationBelow the Mason Dixon line

Posted November 02, 2011 - 11:31 AM

I hear more and more from friends, family and others that they are turning in their dishes, turning off cable and not missing t.v. at all. Except for my favs, I'm almost in agreement.

I think all shows are now going for the lowest common denominator - Bridal Wars, Bad Girls - who needs that trash. I even wrote to NBC and complained about Bad Girls - we have enough bullying in our schools, why should we have it on t.v.?

#4 Blue

Destroyer of Worlds

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationThe Old South

Posted November 02, 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have the same problem with the show not holding my attention. I know there is a lot of scripting in the staff interaction sequences. I also have read of staginess in the actual auctions with fake bids to drive up the price for the cameras. I don't know if that is true, but I wouldn't be shocked.

As far as the reality genre as a whole, I do think it is starting to wear thin. I think more people are having a harder time accepting them at face value. Trends come and go either way. They are so cheap to make, compared to a normal sitcom or crime drama, I don't think they'll go anywhere soon. I think you'll see more exaggerated stories and high drama. The shows will get more and more absurd. I think they'll basically become sitcoms and soap operas with bad acting and writing.

I remember reading about how reality shows killed game shows. Up until them game shows were reality, with the Olympics being the ultimate game shows. Look how the Olympics have faltered since they started allowing pros in. The Games lost what bit of purity they had. There's no more no name athlete winning the hearts and minds of America.
Don't care much for the band, but it's a pretty little song.
http://www.youtube.c...ro_eJZE=feature
And a different view of LA.
http://www.youtube.c...yttcEns=feature

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com